Monday, January 6, 2014

December's Postcard of the Month
December's postcard is also the year's 'Winter' card.   My annual labor of love!  These are the tendrils of myself (and Mule) that connect us to all those people who mean/have meant so much to us over the years.


And, because I make quite a lot of these (160, this year!), for sending through the mail
and since I'll be touching each card probably 5 times, minimum - just to address and stamp 'em! - 
I need to annually come up with a simple composition that doesn't have a lot of essential small or fragile bits that won't make it through postal handling.  And, I also need to have enough materials!  
So, the fewer the steps...  Only 8 this time!

Nascence

How this composition came about:  I was watching a (not-very-good) Netflix show on my laptop sometime this past summer, and saw this wintry scene:
And, immediately thought: "THIS YEAR'S WINTER CARD".  (Looks like I'm about to grab the moon!)


First iteration: 
While I liked this, I still felt like it lacked something.

So - thanks to the thoughtful feedback from a new friend - a nice zig-zagging river/path right up to the horizon was the solution we hatched. 

Which then entailed finding material that gave the proper effect of a river/path winding towards the moon, reflecting some of that shine.  
So...  >>>  newspaper and silver spray paint:
onto which I further swirled some black and gold paint.
160 (+) rivers/paths:
The foils that I stripped from these old Riesen candy wrappers of Mule's:
became the 'moons'.

More of the Fixin's:
  
The Steps 

Step 1
 Step 2
 Step 3
 Step 4
 Step 5
 Step 6
 Step 7
 Step 8

The first 21:
  
Happy Winter!!

Yule Mule

1 comment:

  1. Great to see how Beth's beautiful christmas cards are made ! xoxo

    ReplyDelete